Monday, July 3, 2017

Carrying that Weight - 21 Days to GO!



















"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.” Anaïs Nin
It started with a photograph. My friend Peter shot a picture of me leaving the water at the Half Ironman in September of 2013.
There I was running for the transition area where my bike was waiting for me.

It was there, clear for everyone to see. I had a tummy.
"Psst, hey, this is our little secret. No one needs to know, right?" 
That was the what the voice in my head said.
I'm 5' 7, so I should weigh between 154-159. So what if I was 165? What's 6 lbs between friends?
I was 45 years old at the time. Being 6 lbs over was pretty good.
BUT...I hate dishonesty. Especially when it is coming from my own head.
I had been lying to myself. 

"You're a triathlete, you can eat anything you want."
NO, I could not. I was 45 & it was time to be honest about what I was doing.
I was eating with my eyes & not using my head.
On Saturdays, I would consume 750-1,000 calories for breakfast at Synagogue.
Then I would go home and repeat the same eating...grazing at lunch.
Peter's photo inspired me to make a change.
I was going to make smarter choices.
When given a choice, I would choose lean proteins vegis over processed carbs.
When I had to snack, I would eat a ClifBar instead of a whole box of cookies.
I would limit my meals to one serving...not three.

Result? I dropped 10 lbs in 3 months. 
              I went from this:                   To this: 



                                















The problem became, trying to keep the weight off. I started weighing my self every day. I started substituting coffee for food. 

When my weight hit 149, my wife started to worry.
I decided to gave up the scale.
The question then became, "What do I eat?"
I went back to my training as a coach. What had I been instructing my athletes to do when they were training?
A yogurt for breakfast.
A banana for snack.
A sandwich for lunch.
A plate of proteins & veggies for dinner.
Some hummus & chips for late night snack.
(So how has your weight been for the last 18 months?)
Between 160-163. In the last 8 weeks of training, my weight dropped to 158 & that is ok. That's what the post workout pizza is for.
As long as my pants fit, I'm good with what ever the scale says I weigh.


No comments:

Post a Comment