Monday, June 26, 2017

The Hills Are Calling 27 Days to GO!

Ironman Triathlons are notorious for having one of two conditions on the bike course.  

Wind or hills.  
(& you hate hills)
Since I hate hills, I naturally I picked a bike course with really bad hills.
(Naturally, because everything about this makes logical sense)
The Lake Placid bike course is notorious for its 20 mile incline. 
Image result for ironman lake placid bike elevation gain
There are spots where the course flattens out, but in three locations you have to get over "the hump"...actually, three humps. They are notorious on the course as "The Three Bears - Baby, Mama & Papa." I have been so intimidated by this course that I've actually I avoided it for five years. So the question you're asking me is how does one train for such an endeavor?
(No, the question is: have you lost your freakin mind???)
You practice riding hills.
(Yup, you have. You've nuttier than a psycho ward. You just told us, you hate hills)
Luckily the state of New Jersey has no shortage of hills to climb.


If I lived in Brooklyn it would be a completely different story, but its not Brooklyn it's Joisey.
1 mile from my house is DeGraw.
1200 feet (3/4 of a mile) at 9 degree incline.
Athletes who want to train with me have to be able to get the hill without stopping. 
I will never forget the newbie who had to dismount half way up the hill so they could throw up their breakfast.
(So you hate hills & your athletes)

Getting up the hill never gets easier, you just get faster at ascending to the top. Like the time I road to the top of Bear Mountain.

Once you reach the top, there's a new hill to ride down. At the same time, if you ride down a hill, you have ride back up it if you want to get back home.
(Wouldn't it just be easier to stay home in the first place? Wait a minute, why am I even asking you? It's clear you're a few fries short of a Happy Meal)
These hills are much harder then the ones I will encounter in Lake Placid that's the point.
After 112 miles of hills, I will still have a full 26 mile marathon to run so I need to teach my body hold back and leave a little gas in the tank. This is the mistake I made at Ironman Lake Placid.

(Definitely a few fries short of a happy meal)

No comments:

Post a Comment