Monday, June 19, 2017

Running with the Night - 33 Days to GO

In 2012, I woke up at 4:30 a.m. to start Ironman Arizona & almost fell back asleep, because I was so tired.
The following year, 
Peter 
"There is nothing fun about 4:30 a.m." 
Shankman asked me to join him for a run. By the spring of 2016, I was waking up at 3:30 a.m. to join him for "our" 4:30 a.m. runs. 

That was fine, until I needed to start running farther.I have to be at my desk at 7:30, so to cover 3.5 hours of running, I need to start early. By June, I was waking up at 2 a.m. & running 18 miles by myself. 

(How do you function?)
I don't know. I simply wake up & I'm afraid to go back to sleep.
(Afraid of what?)
Nightmares
(Snakes under the bed? Falling? Showing up to work naked?)
Oversleeping the start of the race...& yes to the other three fears.
Shakespear said, "Macbeth doth murder sleep".
Ironman murdered mine.

Actually, I started not sleeping late on my days off.
My body just adjusted.
(To what?)
Sleeping 3 hours and then running 18 miles.

(That's not normal)
Ultra marathon runners go run on minimal sleep

(They are not normal either...wait. Are you?)
I'm thinking about it, but that's not on my horizon right now.

Right now I am thinking about my family.
Ever since he could speak, my 5 year old has thought that 
"Daddy's job is running".
I don't want to be "THAT DAD".
(Which Dad is "THAT DAD"?)
The one who spent his kid's childhood training, not playing with his kids.

(So you run when they sleep?)
I run in their dreams...


No comments:

Post a Comment